The NFL regular season can be grueling for its players.
And the only reprieve from the week-in-week-out grind that is playing professional football is the annual bye week – something NFL schedule makers implemented to maximize each team’s rest and recovery. While fans of the fantasy game might lament the missed points opportunity, this time allows players a much-needed break.
After two teams were on the bye in Week 13, several squads will have off this week.
What NFL teams have a bye week in Week 14?
The Atlanta Falcons, Chicago Bears, Green Bay Packers, Indianapolis Colts, New Orleans Saints and Washington Commanders all have a Week 14 bye.
Complete bye week schedule for 2022 NFL regular season
- Week 6: Detroit Lions, Houston Texans, Las Vegas Raiders, Tennessee Titans
- Week 7: Buffalo Bills, Los Angeles Rams, Minnesota Vikings, Philadelphia Eagles
- Week 8: Kansas City Chiefs, Los Angeles Chargers
- Week 9: Cleveland Browns, Dallas Cowboys, Denver Broncos, New York Giants, Pittsburgh Steelers, San Francisco 49ers
- Week 10: Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals, New England Patriots, New York Jets
- Week 11: Jacksonville Jaguars, Miami Dolphins, Seattle Seahawks, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Week 13: Arizona Cardinals, Carolina Panthers
- Week 14: Atlanta Falcons, Chicago Bears, Green Bay Packers, Indianapolis Colts, New Orleans Saints, Washington Commanders
When did the NFL first institute bye weeks?
The NFL bye week is now 27 years old and a staple of the league schedule.
Prior to 1990, the NFL jammed 16 games into 16 weeks for wall-to-wall coverage. A combination of scheduling conflicts, travel complications, potential television earnings from an extended season and player injury all factored into the league’s decision to extend the season to 17 weeks. The NFL briefly added a second bye week for the 1992 and 1993 season, but quickly dropped back to one per season.
Last season, the NFL expanded once again to 17 games in 18 weeks, prompting some -- including 49ers star tight end George Kittle -- to suggest a return to the second bye week.
When is the Chicago Bears’ bye week?
The Bears are on the bye this week.
How do bye weeks impact fantasy football?
Bye weeks are a fact of life in the NFL, but that’s no excuse to be caught sleeping in your fantasy league.
It’s pretty simple -- if a player can’t play in real football, they can’t earn points in fantasy football. Therefore, most managers recommend benching players on a bye week. Make sure you get those lineups in on time!