Remember when Team USA had some trouble attracting MLB stars for the 2017 World Baseball Classic?
Well, the defending WBC champs didn't run into that issue this time around.
Team USA's roster construction process for the 2023 World Baseball Classic couldn't have started any better, as three-time MVP Mike Trout signed up to captain the club last July. And Trout proved to be far from the only high-profile addition.
The Americans picked up two more MVP winners in Mookie Betts and Paul Goldschmidt (they had commitments from two-time MVP Bryce Harper and one-time MVP Clayton Kershaw but they won't compete due to injury). Team USA also added several other big-name players like Nolan Arenado, Pete Alonso, Trea Turner, Tim Anderson, Kyle Schwarber and J.T. Realmuto.
What is Team USA's 2023 World Baseball Classic roster?
Here's a full look at Team USA's roster for the WBC:
- C J.T. Realmuto, Philadelphia Phillies
- C Will Smith, Los Angeles Dodgers
- Kyle Higashioka, New York Yankees
- 1B Pete Alonso, New York Mets
- 1B Paul Goldschmidt, St. Louis Cardinals
- 2B Jeff McNeil, New York Mets
- 3B Nolan Arenado, St. Louis Cardinals
- 3B Bobby Witt Jr., Kansas City Royals
- SS Tim Anderson, Chicago White Sox
- SS Trea Turner, Philadelphia Phillies
- OF Mookie Betts, Los Angeles Dodgers
- OF Cedric Mullins, Baltimore Orioles
- OF Mike Trout, Los Angeles Angels
- OF Kyle Tucker, Houston Astros
- OF Kyle Schwarber, Philadelphia Phillies
- RP Jason Adam, Tampa Bay Rays
- RP Daniel Bard, Colorado Rockies
- RP David Bednar, Pittsburgh Pirates
- RP Kendall Graveman, Chicago White Sox
- RP Ryan Pressly, Houston Astros
- RP Devin Williams, Milwaukee Brewers
- RP Adam Ottavino, New York Mets
- RP Brooks Raley, New York Mets
- SP Adam Wainwright, St. Louis Cardinals
- SP Kyle Freeland, Colorado Rockies
- SP Lance Lynn, Chicago White Sox
- SP Brady Singer, Kansas City Royals
- SP Merrill Kelly, Arizona Diamondbacks
- SP Nick Martinez, San Diego Padres
- SP Miles Mikolas, St. Louis Cardinals
The Americans will be managed by Mark DeRosa, who played on the 2009 U.S. squad that reached the WBC semifinals. DeRosa's coaching staff features a pair of legends with Hall of Famer Ken Griffey Jr. as hitting coach and five-time World Series champion Andy Pettitte as pitching coach. Jerry Manuel (bench coach), Lou Collier (first base coach), Dino Ebel (third base coach) and Dave Righetti (bullpen coach) round out the staff.
When is the 2023 World Baseball Classic?
The fifth edition of the World Baseball Classic will run from March 8 to March 21. The tournament has expanded from 16 to 20 teams, with games taking place in Miami, Phoenix, Tokyo and Taichung, Taiwan.
Team USA is in Pool C along with Canada, Colombia, Great Britain and Mexico. Pool play for those teams is from March 11-15 at Chase Field, home of the Arizona Diamondbacks. The semifinals and finals, along with the quarterfinals on Team USA's side of the bracket, will be held at the Miami Marlins' loanDepot Park.