Looking back on the Cubs' rain-filled weekend in Washington D.C.


Well, the Cubs have surely experienced better weekends of baseball.

The weekend seemed to be starting on a positive note for the Cubs following back-to-back 6-4 wins over the Brewers (Wednesday) and Nationals (Thursday). Thursday's win increased the Cubs' lead in the NL Central to 4.5 games over the idle Brewers.

Things mostly went downhill from there.

Friday night's game, which was scheduled to start at 6:05 p.m. CT. was delayed for more than an hour before finally getting underway. The game went into a delay again with two outs in the top of the second inning, an interruption that lasted two hours and 59 minutes before the game was postponed anyway.

Manager Joe Maddon expressed his confusion over how the delays were handled.

"It was just unfortunate because we made it clear in the beginning that we wanted to wait and play and we were willing to wait and play and then about 10 o'clock, it didn't look good," Maddon said. "Then all of a sudden, it started to look better and we had no issues with starting at 11:30."

Friday's postponed game was rescheduled for Saturday, forming a doubleheader with Saturday's game (originally scheduled for 6:05 p.m. CT). Game 1 Saturday was to start at 2:05 p.m. CT, with Game 2 to begin 45 minutes after the conclusion of Game 1.

Yeah, that didn't happen.

Game 1 was delayed two hours and 10 minutes, though it ultimately wasn't worth the wait. The Nationals scored three runs in the first inning off of Jaime García, who Maddon hoped could pitch two innings. The Nationals went on to win 10-3 in a game played through on-and-off rain.

As if all the rain delays were not enough, the Nationals created a delay themselves Saturday. Game 2 of the doubleheader was supposed to start at 7:45 p.m. CT, though it started 15 minutes late because a pregame ceremony to honor former-outfielder Jayson Werth ran long.

Game 2 started well for the Cubs, as Victor Caratini hit an early grand slam that featured a monster bat flip. The Cubs led 5-3 late before the Nationals took a 6-5 lead in the bottom of the seventh inning following a Bryce Harper home run.

Naturally, the rain returned shortly after, resulting in a delay that lasted more than an hour. The long wait ultimately resulted in a 6-5 Cubs loss, though the game was played in its entirety, at least.

In all, the Cubs and Nationals spent more time delayed this weekend than they did actually playing three of the four scheduled games.

Sunday's 12:05 p.m. CT game started and ended in a rain delay, getting postponed until Thursday at 3:05 p.m. CT. So following a three-game series at home against the Brewers (who now are just two games back for first place in the NL Central) the Cubs will fly back to Washington D.C. for one day.

Waiting for them will likely be Max Scherzer, who will be on normal rest after pitching a complete game in Game 1 of Saturday's doubleheader.

Whether or not the game gets played is in question, as Hurricane Florence is expected to make landfall on Thursday, possibly delaying the game or even causing another postponement.

Thursday was going to be the Cubs' first day off since Aug. 20, ending a 23 games in 23 days stretch. Instead, the stretch will extend to 30 games in 30 days, as the next Cubs' off-day is not scheduled until Sept. 20.

Weather permitting, of course.

Contact Us